Who are the exemplars of excellence in black theatre? Which institutions are successfully cultivating black theatre practitioners? How do we facilitate inclusion and diversity in the technical and administrative aspects of the field? How can black performers expand their artistry and marketability?
Theatre professionals, scholars, and students will convene to discuss and take action around these questions as we explore the expansion of of an inclusive presence and influence in the field of theatre.
Sessions will include panel discussions, workshops, and a special performance of Seret Scott's one-woman play, Artistic Housing.
$35 PUBLIC / FREE STUDENT TICKETS AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 9, 2015
Lunch is included in registration fee.
One ticket to The School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies’ production of Good Kids is included with payment of the full registration fee. Students and volunteers participating in the symposium may purchase a ticket for $5.00.
9:00 AM; Free Continental Breakfast/Registration
10:00 AM; Welcome and Agenda Gildenhorn Recital Hall
10:30 AM; Performance of Artistic Housing
- Seret Scott, director, playwright, actress
- Artistic Housing is a compilation of memorable moments, events and images that recall a life in professional theatre at a past and different time. The stories are told from the particular artistic perspective of Seret Scott, a black woman, and veteran Theatre Director - Writer - Actress who has worked in regional, Off-Broadway and Broadway theatre for nearly 50 years.
- Post show discussion
12:00 PM Breakout Session Options
- Business, Branding, and Booking Commercial Work
- Building a Career in Dramaturgy
- Interactive: Hip Hop Theatre Workshop
1:15 PM; Catered Lunch (included)
Chat-N-Chew: Arts Management and Producing Theatre
3:00 PM; Breakout Session Options
- Diversifying Design and Technical Theatre
- Black Dance and Performance
- Interactive: Playwrighting in Action
4:45 PM; Breakout Session Options
- Education: Inclusion and Diversity
- Devised Theatre and Performance
- Interactive: Learning, Teaching, and Using Voice Work
6:00 PM; Dinner Break (dinner not provided)
7:30 PM; School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies
Naomi Iizuka, playwright
Seret Scott, director