Andrew Cissna is a lighting designer based out of Washington DC since 2006. Since starting professionally designing, Andrew has lit over 80 productions in both DC and regionally around the country. In DC he has lit shows for the Kennedy Center Theatre for Young Audiences, Theatre Alliance, Forum Theatre, Catholic University, Imagination Stage, Catalyst Theatre Company, Adventure Theatre, Olney Theatre, Round House Theatre, Theatre J, Signature Theatre, Studio Theatre, and many others. Regionally, he has had the opportunity to work at Perseverance Theatre Company in Juneau, Alaska, Milwaukee Repertory Theatre, Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, and Playmakers Repertory Company. He has also had the opportunity to assist many designers around the country, ranging from Broadway to The Guthrie to Actor’s Theatre of Louisville and all over DC.
Andrew is also the head of lighting for the Spoleto Festival USA held in Charleston, SC every summer where he manages the lighting for over 170 performances held over 17 days in 11 different performance venues.
BFA in Lighting Design from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in Lighting Design.
MFA in Lighting Design from the University of Maryland, College Park
Areas of Specialization/Interest:
Lighting Design, Drafting
- 2003 : American Dance Festival
- 2004 – present : Spoleto Festival USA
- 2005 : Dora the Explorer Live National Tour
- 2005-2006 : Hubbard Street Dance Chicago National Tour
- 2006-2008 : Kenan Fellowship at the John F. Kennedy Center
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Round House Theatre, 2016
- Jitney, Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, 2016
- Seminar, Playmakers Repertory Theatre, 2015
- Murder Ballad, Studio Theatre, 2015
- Passion Play, Forum Theatre, 2015
- Sex with Strangers, Signature Theatre, 2014
- Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo, Round House Theatre, 2012
- 1984, Catalyst Theatre Company, 2008
- Gross Indecency, Theatre Alliance, 2006
Honors and Awards:
- Helen Hayes Award nominations for Best Lighting Design for 1984 in 2008, Sex with Strangers in 2014, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in 2016.
- 2005 ETC LDI Student Sponsorship