The School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies endeavors to create an educational environment that is vital, passionate and encourages risk-taking. We aim to cultivate a community of engaged, innovative, collaborative, curious, skilled, articulate, caring, and resilient artists, who ultimately pursue their chosen careers with distinction and become independent-minded, responsible citizens.
- Reveals theatre and dance as powerful, integrating, and collaborative art forms via scholarship, research, and the art and craft of performance;
- Fosters the development of fundamental life skills: intellectual curiosity, creative thinking, problem solving, emotional intelligence and common sense;
- Builds on the human experience, thought, expression, and creativity to advance human welfare in all its dimensions;
- Encourages individuals and diverse communities to work together towards common goals;
- Allows faculty members strive to cultivate imagination and a context for transformation, in ourselves as well as for our students.; and
- Requires the scholar/artist to access intelligence, emotions, impulses, experiences, mind, body, voice, and imagination to express an artistic vision;
- Demands discipline and dedication, which reward us by showing not only who we are, but also what we might become.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We understand that a rich and productive learning experience is best achieved through a diverse student body. We define diversity not only in the more familiar terms of race, ethnicity, and gender, but we also recognize diversity in terms of life experiences, research interests, and interdisciplinary background. Each of these elements contributes to a vibrant program, and offers us the opportunity to expand our field in new and dynamic ways.