The Creative and Performing Arts Scholarship (CAPA) for Theatre is an equivalent amount to that of "in-state" tuition and mandatory fees. For qualifying students, the CAPA Scholarship may be renewed for up to eight semesters.
For best consideration, applicants should have . . .
• A minimum 3.30 high school cumulative grade point average (when applicable, the cumulative average of B+ or 85%). Transfer students should have a college/university cumulative GPA of 3.00.
• Applied to the University of Maryland by the priority admissions date, November 1, and declared Theatre as a major.
• Submitted a complete application packet by Wednesday, December 12th, 2018.
Transfer students must include an official transcript from an accredited college or university in their application packet.
Auditions for the Fall 2019/Spring 202020 academic year will be Monday, December 17th, 2018 at 12:30-3:30pm; applicants must attend the entire time. This is the only audition day offered and applicants must be in attendance for consideration. Except in the case of our cancellation for inclement weather, there will be no make‐up day.
Applications received after Wednesday, December 12th, 2018 will not be accepted.
**Please note that an audition is not required to declare Theatre as your major, and your participation in the audition does not guarantee admission to the University of Maryland. The UMD Admissions Office will contact students with official admission decisions, by the dates indicated on the Admissions website.**
For purposes of these auditions, we ask you to choose one area of concentration.
This is a two‐part audition. The first is a group warm-up session with improvisational work. Please come dressed to move; do not wear skirts or binding clothing. Wear flat-soled shoes that do not restrict your movement. The second part is your individual presentation. Prepare one 1 1/2 minute monologue (maximum). This should be from within your age and range. The material must be from a play and not a film script or novel. Use contemporary plays only, and no material from monologue books or original works. In addition, if it is your strength, you may sing a maximum of 16 bars a cappella. Do not choose to sing unless this is your strong point! In addition to your presentation, there may be a short interview with faculty.
Design and Production Students:
Prepare a four-minute presentation (maximum) of a design or technical project you have done. Presentations may include drawings, renderings,floor plans, models, photos, boards, etc. It should include a discussion of the nature of your design and production experience (i.e. any research involved, budget or physical resources, design concepts, stage limitations, construction problems, assessment of final results). If you have special audiovisual equipment needs, please check with us before planning to incorporate technology in your presentation. In addition to your presentation, there may be a short interview with faculty.
Applicants will be invited to attend according to the strength of the information in their application packet. Auditions are available only to students who submit complete and timely application packets and are recommended by the Scholarship Selection Committee. We will confirm acceptance to participate in the auditions via by email. The email message will include directions, parking information, etc.
Please submit an online application and mail a hard copy of your application form and headshot (see address below):
Complete Application Packets (submitted online and mailed) must include:
- 1 original signed Audition Application Form (online and mail)
- 1 copy of your theatrical resume (1 page, 1 side only) (online)
- 1 original headshot photo (5” x 7” or greater; black and white or color; does not need to be professional. If this cannot be emailed, a hard copy will be sufficient) (online and mail)
- One copy of a 250-word (maximum) essay (typewritten on a single page) on the topic: How has Theatre influenced you to apply for admission to the University of Maryland? (online)
- Transfer students only: an official transcript from the College or University you attended (mail)
Applications received after Wednesday, December 12, 2018 will not be accepted.
Mail application packet to:
Coordinator of Student Services
School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies
2810 Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland 20742-1610