Declare the Major

Current students at the University who wish to add Dance as a primary or secondary major should make an appointment with Susan Miller, Coordinator of Student Services and Academic Advisor, at

What do I need to know before becoming a Dance major?

First, take a look at the Curriculum Requirements for the Dance Major. Then, take a look at the web page for Academic Planning at the College of Arts and Humanities.

What's the first step to declaring Dance as a major?

All students must create an Academic Plan integrating major requirements with the General Education /CORE and ARHU requirements. Transfer students should ask their College Advisor if they fall under the Dance Academic Plan for CORE or for General Education.

When can a Dance Major be declared?

A Dance Major or Double Major may be declared in any semester that you are registered at the University of Maryland, but please be advised that adding the major after your freshman year may extend your time to graduation. Students who are not currently registered and are candidates for re-enrollment must contact the Registrar's Office to re-enroll before declaring Dance as a Major. It is strongly suggested that students be in good academic standing when changing majors or adding a second major.

How do I schedule an Advising Session to declare Dance as a Major?

  • Contact the Coordinator of Student Services and Academic Advisor, Susan Miller, by email at
  • An appointment must be made; declaring a major cannot be handled on a walk-in basis.
  • Review the web pages listed above, most importantly the curriculum requirements.
  • At the advising meeting, paperwork will be filled out and signed.

The final step in becoming a Dance Major: you must turn the Academic Plan Degree Requirement Checklist Form in to a College of Arts and Humanities Advisor. Call 301.405.2108 to schedule an appointment.