Discover the passion we have for our scholarship & craft.
Students in the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies have opportunities to experiment, explore and experience – challenging themselves to reach beyond the boundaries.
Factors that make our program a standout:
- Residence in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, a multi-million dollar, dual-purpose, state-of-the-art facility, which also houses the School of Music and Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library
- An award-winning faculty, including several Helen Hayes Award winners, a Tony Award winner, an Emmy winner, and a winner of the Barnard Hewitt Award for an outstanding theatre history book
- Our diverse student body - comprised of talented actors, designers, production workers, and more
- The atmosphere of a small college within the setting of a large research-one university
- Location in the nations' fastest growing arts regions and national epicenter for research
- Professional affiliations with outstanding Washington DC regional theatre companies
- Take a look at our TDPS Brochure, the Arts and Humanities TDPS Page and the Career Center’s Page on Why Theatre?
How to Apply:
Theatre embraces the liberal arts character of the University of Maryland and by choice, we are not a limited enrollment major. There is no audition, portfolio presentation or interview requirement to declare the Theatre major. Click here to learn more about applying to the University of Maryland